News and events
Prevention conference: 11 October 2018
Violence against Women and Girls: Leadership for Prevention
** Now fully booked **
At Zero Tolerance our vision is of a world free of violence against women and we work to achieve this through primary prevention - challenging the social attitudes and structures which permit this violence to occur. On 11 October Zero Tolerance will bring together leaders, professionals and policy-makers across a range of sectors to explore primary prevention at a one day conference.
With presentations, workshops and discussions, this event will be a unique opportunity to meet leaders and change makers, hear from experienced professionals and discuss opportunities for embedding, or further embedding, primary prevention into your work.
Date: Thursday 11 OctoberLocation: Easter Road Stadium, 12 Albion Pl, Edinburgh EH7 5QG
9:30 – 9:50 Rachel Adamson, Zero Tolerance: Welcome and Introduction
9:50 – 10:10 Christina McKelvie, MSP: Prevention and Parliament
10:10 – 10:40 Emma Ritch, Engender: Policy and Practice with a gender lens
10:40 – 11:15 Break for tea and coffee, networking, and a chance to view the Violence Unseen exhibition.
11:15 – 12:00 First round of workshops
- Leading Whole Schools Approach: Education as Engagement with Equality by Rape Crisis Scotland and Zero Tolerance
- What about the men?: Involving men in prevention work by White Ribbon Scotland
- Preventing sexism and misogyny in Muslim and BME communities by Amina
12:15 Presentations on two pilot projects:
- Catriona Kirkpatrick, Engender: Disabled Women - Our Bodies Our Rights
- Susie Heywood, Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership: Gender Friendly Nurseries
12:45 – 13:45 Lunch, networking, and a chance to view the Violence Unseen exhibition.
13:45 – 14:15 Sharing and Building the evidence:
- Perceptions of violence in the media – new research by Zero Tolerance
- Learnings from past prevention campaigns – presentation by Rape Crisis Scotland
14:15 – 14:45 Presentation from Rape Crisis on learnings from previous prevention campaigns
14:45 - Short break and time to get into second round of workshops
- What about the men?: Involving men in prevention work by White Ribbon Scotland (repeated)
- Intersections of violence against women and violence against LGBT people facilitator by LGBT Youth
- Sugar and spice and all things sexist: Working with the early years to challenge gender stereotyping by Zero Tolerance
15:45 – Rachel Adamson, Zero Tolerance: Closing remarks
16:00 - Day end